Real Doctors (Life Makers)
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
/October/ 23, 2017, 06:23:04 PM
6115 Posts in 1589 Topics by 6180 Members
Latest Member: kz7tfriex4b
Latest Forum Topics: Basic Gunshot Wound Care First Aid  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  Ultimate USMLE Collection: Steps 1, 2 & 3 Videos, Books & Audiobooks  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  THE POST GRADUATE STUDY  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  Surgical Examination Videos  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  Pathoma for step 1  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  Huge Collection of Dental Videos, Books & applications !  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  Psychology Books Collection: 300+ Books  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:   Vaccines: are they really safe & effective? [Video Collection]  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  The Ultimate Massage Thread: Huge Collection of Videos & Books about Massage  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  Manteca Chia - Full course of Taoist practice [1986-2007, DVDRip]  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  Natural Health - The Longevity Conference 2010 DVD Set  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  
Home Help Login Register

* Clinical examination videos for Free

Clinical exam videos for free

Real Doctors (Life Makers)  |  Clinical  |  Pediatrics  |  Case discussion  |  case discussion 1 « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: case discussion 1  (Read 5326 times)
3abeer
Administrator

Stair way to paradise

case discussion 1
« on: /September/ 30, 2005, 09:42:51 AM »

You are in the pediatrics ER, & you received 10 days old female, with history of copious vomiting,started 1 day back. otherwise history is negative , she was born as full term normal vaginal delivery
physical exam:
afebile
severly dehydrated,
not indistress
no skin rash
while you are examining her, you could find cliteromegaly

try 2 answer the following questions :
1- what is your diagnosis?

2- what should be your initial management?

dr_b.e.s.m
Administrator

Doctor

Re: case discussion 1
« Reply #1 on: /October/ 04, 2005, 08:21:07 AM »

A case of female? pseudohermaphroditism. There are a lot of causes , but i think the most common is CAH [ congenital adrenal hyperplasia] . This patient has dehydration , which goes with salt losing CAH.

Treatment is Hydrocortisone and/or miniralocorticoid adminstration. In this case patient already has severe dehydration , so may be the first step is correction of the hyponatremic dehydration, I don't remember how to correct it by the way , so I hope you can write to us more about it.? Smiley

These are some guidelines I found , they represent conditions when we should suspect CAH :

1-Pseudohermaphroditism in females, with urogenital sinus, enlargement of the clitoris, or other evidence of virilization.
2-Salt-losing crisis in infant males or isosexual precocity in older males with infantile testes.
3-Increased linear growth in young children; advancement of skeletal maturation.
4-Urinary and plasma androgen elevation; plasma 17-hydroxyprogesterone and urinary pregnanetriol concentrations increased in the common form; may be associated with electrolyte and water disturbances (hyponatremia, hyperkalemia, and metabolic acidosis), particularly in the newborn period.

3abeer
Administrator

Stair way to paradise

Re: case discussion 1
« Reply #2 on: /October/ 09, 2005, 05:13:49 AM »

asalamo 3alaikom wa ra7amato ALLAH wabarakato:
correct dr besm  Smiley
it is CAH
i will be back with the detailed management inshalla
ramadan kareem

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »