Real Doctors (Life Makers)
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
/November/ 18, 2017, 08:59:08 AM
6115 Posts in 1589 Topics by 6180 Members
Latest Member: kz7tfriex4b
Latest Forum Topics: Basic Gunshot Wound Care First Aid  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  Ultimate USMLE Collection: Steps 1, 2 & 3 Videos, Books & Audiobooks  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  THE POST GRADUATE STUDY  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  Surgical Examination Videos  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  Pathoma for step 1  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  Huge Collection of Dental Videos, Books & applications !  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  Psychology Books Collection: 300+ Books  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:   Vaccines: are they really safe & effective? [Video Collection]  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  The Ultimate Massage Thread: Huge Collection of Videos & Books about Massage  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  Manteca Chia - Full course of Taoist practice [1986-2007, DVDRip]  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  Natural Health - The Longevity Conference 2010 DVD Set  :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:  
Home Help Login Register

* Clinical examination videos for Free

Clinical exam videos for free

Real Doctors (Life Makers)  |  Clinical  |  Postgraduate studies  |  THE POST GRADUATE STUDY « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: THE POST GRADUATE STUDY  (Read 64123 times)
juniordoctor

Re: THE POST GRADUATE STUDY
« Reply #15 on: /March/ 28, 2006, 08:22:20 AM »

Why don't you conider american board???

I was going to say so. That's what I prefer, and intend to do in shaa Allah.

You can take step 1 after fourth year, or after sixth year. You have to pass step 1, step 2 CK and step 2 CS to become ECFMG certified, and to be eligible to apply for residency position in the US. Then you take step 3 to complete the USMLE, and become eligible to sit for the board exam.

For more, we need to ask Dr Cleo_md, as she has been through all these steps before.

3abeer
Administrator

Stair way to paradise

« Reply #16 on: /March/ 28, 2006, 09:56:20 AM »

i do agree with musheera,
i think its better 2 have the american board,
u can start by step one from now
dont waste the chance, ur fresh in basics , so شد الحزام & go one  Embarrassed

me & dr besm are preparing 4 step 2 inshalla

things are getting more difficult 4 arabs in UK , i have some colleagues their & they are compailing about the poor chances they have their

& as long , as we need distinguished drs, u should take this thing ( postgraduate in a foriegn country) seriously,

or we will be just numbers ,  Huh Roll Eyes

juniordoctor

« Reply #17 on: /March/ 28, 2006, 10:13:54 AM »

me & dr besm are preparing 4 step 2 inshalla

So, i can suppose you passed step 1. Please tell me how. I'm a third year student. I was planning to take step 1 after this year, but when i started solving MCQs i found that i can't answer anything correct  bom. I have a series called underground clinical vignettes, i started reading them, but i still cannot combine basic science with clinical issues. So, i decided to postpone it to after 4th or 6th year.

I have another question, if I took the exam after third year can i pass it? as i heard that there are some MRI & CTs and i don't know what is CT, i only know the ET Tongue.

I plan to study in Shaa Allah from First aid, kaplan, underground clinical vignettes and BRS physiology, are they enough?

Please answer.  faint

3abeer
Administrator

Stair way to paradise

« Reply #18 on: /March/ 28, 2006, 10:59:01 AM »

WELL DR JUNIOR,

I DIDNT TAKE STEP 1 YET, U CAN DO THAT AFTER STEP 2,

I KNOW ITS HARD 2 DO STEP 1 IMMEADIATELY , AFTER THE 3RD YR, AS THERE ARE CLINICAL RELATIONS

U MIGHT WAIT TELL U FINISH THE 4 TH YR ,
PRAY ESTE5ARA 4 THAT

I THINK NUHA CAN GIVE THE BEST REPLY HERE

BEST OF LUCK  Smiley

juniordoctor

« Reply #19 on: /March/ 28, 2006, 11:54:37 AM »

Thanks for your reply Dr 3abeer.
Best luck in step 2.

Fakeer
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: /March/ 28, 2006, 02:21:31 PM »

Aslamu alikum

Dear Dr.Juniordoctor

according to my conversations with Dr.Nuha on making USMLE she told me it will be more easy to pass usmle step 1 after studying Internal medicine..ok?

Because 80% of the usmle step 1 is internal medicine

Don't worry u will be perfect..focus on ur goal and fight for it...we will be with u isA

Salam

juniordoctor

« Reply #21 on: /March/ 28, 2006, 02:47:43 PM »

Thanks Dr Fakeer, but i have another question.
After sixth year, will it be easier to take step 2 first or step 1?

Fakeer
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: /March/ 28, 2006, 02:59:08 PM »

Remember that u will study internal medicine in the fifth year...so u can do step 1 after the fifth year and after the sixth year u can make the 2nd

But i really can't tell u which one will be easier becuz i didn't

Sorry !

ask dr.bahha or wait for dr.nuha's opinion

salam

juniordoctor

« Reply #23 on: /March/ 28, 2006, 03:14:21 PM »

Thanks Dr Fakeer for your reply. I will wait for Dr Nuha's reply.
Thanks again.

cleo_md
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: /March/ 28, 2006, 04:19:05 PM »

Hi everyone!! I'm sorry I missed this thread.

Rubbina maakom inshaa'Allah Smiley

Junior doctor ,
I'm glad you realized that taking step 1 after third year in Egypt is not the greatest? idea. You may pass it but with the current competition you will need to make sure you have good scores or at least have no attempts on any of the steps.
Also you are coming all the way from Egypt and need to match in a good program to make sure you have good chances for fellowship if you intend to subspecialize or stay in the US for a few years more.

Which step to take first after 6th year is totally up to you . If you feel after 6th year that you are burnt out then do step 2 first because medicine is medicine - most of it will be things you've heard about before although here the work up and management are different at times.
This will give you a push to keep up with all the studying required for this test.
As Dr Fakeer mentioned step 2 is almost 80% internal medicine.

One more thing you've mentioned and I wanted to emphasize . You can not take any speciality board exam without residency here in the US . Residency makes you board eligible.
I think there were ways to do so in the past  but not anymore or limited to institutions accepting people for fellowships from non US programs( very few ). Don't quote me on that one!

The book list you've mentioned Junior doctor is more than enough.? My sincere advice to you is do lots and lots of questions.

I did step 1 then step 2 two? and a half months later and CSA ( currently step 2 CS ) in the same month. The clinical exam is not a big deal for fluent English speakers and those familiar with what is expected of bedside manners here in the US.
Websites like USMLE world are more than enough to prepare you for it in 2 weeks max.
I rotated in the US before all that so it took me a few days of prepartion.

What else?? The whole match issue we can discuss when it's time inshaa'Allah . I have been involved in the selection process at my institution so I have an idea of what they are looking for, what you should never do and what you should do.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask!:)

Nuha

juniordoctor

« Reply #25 on: /March/ 28, 2006, 04:54:17 PM »

Dr Nuha, thanks a million for your detailed reply.

someonez

« Reply #26 on: /March/ 30, 2006, 05:35:44 AM »

Assalamo Aleikom ..

I did some reasearch and asked many people i know ( Egyptians and  Foreigners ) who've been through this dilemma ..
I figured out - based on what i knew - the best thing for me now is to concentrate on my current studies  .. you never know what might happen ..
i was told literally by a doctor friend of my father that Europe isn't accepting foreign doctors as before anymore .. unemployment is increasing and there seem not to be anything stopping it , so they stopped hiring foreign doctors even if they had the PLAB or any other EU board . However , They're more than willing to teach you whatever you want to learn as long as you're not thinking of a job as it's not possible unless you were offered the job if they saw in you what they think is a benefit for them .
I wasn't really interested in the idea of USMLE or PLAB as i don't want to start from ZERO in another country other than our beloved , despite the difficulties . And , hence i got convinced with the idea of MRCS .. It's a degree accepted wherever .. i can do my speciality without waiting in line for registering here in Egypt .I can also continue my post graduate studies anywhere once having it , plus it gives me the oppertunity to apply for any job in other countries especially in the Gulf area which seems to be a pretty good feild for jobs now as demands are increasing and salaries aren't bad at all  . Another bonus for the MRCS is that i can do all the 3 steps here in Egypt even the oral exam .
I don't know much about the American system concerning the jobs .. I know about the USMLE and i know friends who've passed step 1 and preparing for the other steps .. i agree with Dr. Nuha , it's pretty much advisable to proceed step 1 after going through internal medicine as the questions now are clinically based . most of the USMLEes iknow had their first step during their Emtyaz ..
Thank You so Much !!

W Rabena Yewafakna Gamee3an ..     

Sherif El Herraoui

3abeer
Administrator

Stair way to paradise

« Reply #27 on: /March/ 30, 2006, 09:25:28 AM »

dearest nuha

im so happy 2 know that u have been chosen 2 be a memeber of the selection team  clapping
u desreve always the best
may ALLAH bless u

i think we have agood no attempting 4 usmle

so lets start  Smiley

musheera
Global Moderator

Psychiatrist

« Reply #28 on: /April/ 01, 2006, 10:58:12 PM »

I got this from a yahoo group I belong to ...the drs name & emai are listed below...

youth4health] How to get into medical school in US..!

Dear Friends,
   Here you are the article I wrote about the US medical and pre-med education. Get benifit. And all questions are most welcome.

I was really happy after I have been accepted by a US medical school to get graduate medical training there in three specialties for free as scholarships. This was the start to change my (and our) vision to the medical education here and there. I have been accepted for nephrology/renal transplantation, GI disease, and Hepatology.
Since I have arrived JFK airport in New York till the moments I was writing these words, full of funny situations, starting from that one of my friends who is supposed to meet him in the airport, didn?t come. Besides when I depend on myself & traveled alone to his city, I have missed two buses while I am going there. Even more, I found that his address was incorrect, so that I met him after I have arrived New York by 26 hours. The funniest thing is; he has not a cell phone or even a land line phone.
Enrollment to the US medical students is made by application then selection not by a single standardized exam score nationwide.
US medical schools require the students to have a pre-medicine college in any field (but there is minimum requirement of certain course) and to pass the MCAT exam. The MCAT exam; which stands for Medical College Admission Test, is really a competitive exam. This tests your ability to enroll into a medical school from all aspects including, Biology, Genetics, Chemistry, Physics, and even language.
Hence they are already prepared for this exam by having the 4 year pre-medicine college; no one can enter a medical school if he doesn?t want to go to, he feels that it is hard to go on studying medicine, he can?t deal with patients, he is forced to enroll in the medical school by his high high school scores or by his family, or by his peer pressure.
The US medical schools have 4 year program, graduating physicians with MD (medical doctor) degree. The first 2 years are of basic sciences, & the 3rd and the 4th year for the clinical sciences.
All the 125 US medical schools are graduating about 15000 physicians every year, having more than 25000 residency positions every year. So they are accepting international medical graduates.
You can imagine how far is the medical education is different in USA than it is in Egypt. My training policy, which was written by the US medical school "Board of Trustees", stated that "he will have the same obligations, duties, rights, and privileges as our own medical students". So, I was in position to compare the difference between the medical students here and there.
There are three main things I want to talk about. First, the number of the medical students per year never exceeds 250, and those schools usually known by low quality of medical education. Some US medical schools have a class of 40 students, not because they are a small school and can?t accept more than this number, but because they want to give their students the most of what their professors have.
As regard the clinical sciences studying in the 3rd and the 4th years, the students do certain number or "required" rotations and some other ?elective" rotation selected by their own according to each one interest to. In these elective months they can do either a research work through involving in a research team or clinical work by being responsible of following up inpatients and outpatients, starting from seeing them in the clinic passing through the initial diagnosis, investigations, management, and treatment. Besides, he is responsible on watching his patients daily in the morning and presenting and discussing their status to the senior attending faculty. During this period (which is the whole 3rd and 4th year), each student has his own patients on his own list. The students also may have lectures on a certain hot or important topic in the clinical sciences subjects or there may be pre-exam review.
As the space doesn?t allow talking about the hospital system, I do believe that there is a great variation between the hospital system in USA and Egypt.
I didn?t talk about the medical system in Egypt simply because you know it for death. I think you can imagine how far we are, and how much we are pushing to the community "mal-adjusted" work force from whom we don?t get the benefit of what they have learnt; there is something, and what they have been taught, if there is any.
After my strong experience, intimate relation, and close contact to the US professors, fellows, residents, medical students along with direct observation and immediate interaction with the medical education process, I can unequivocally state that the problem that we have is "management". We are so far not for financial deficiencies. We have bad management. We don?t have monitoring process to the educational process. The assessment is examining your memorizing capabilities not your interpretational and correlation powers.
We are all waiting for a serious change. Please, help us with your feedback on this article.
January 2006

Youssef Farag
The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) at Galveston
Galveston, Texas
USA

Heart-felt Thank you,
                   Yours,
    Youssef Mohamed Kamel Farag

Tel.: +2 (050) 221-7721
       +2 (050) 224-2862
       +2 (010) 198-1997 (Cell Phone)
Email: dr_youssef_joe@hotmail.com, youssef_mkamel2002@yahoo.com
Address: Samia El-Gamal Street, Dr. Mohamed Kamel Tower, Mansoura 35111, Egypt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3abeer
Administrator

Stair way to paradise

« Reply #29 on: /April/ 11, 2006, 11:10:43 AM »

check these sites 4 post graduate exams

http://www.rxpgonline.com/review92461.html  ( browse books here)  fine fine

http://www.prep4usmle.com/resources/48

www.mcqs.com (great site, )dont miss it  Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: